Entitled to an ABN

Entitled to an ABN

You’re entitled to an ABN if you’re carrying on or starting an enterprise in Australia or making supplies connected with Australia’s indirect tax zone or a Corporations Act company or other entities type.

Carrying on an enterprise

An enterprise includes activities done in the form of a business, as well as some other activities, including:

  • acting as the trustee of a super fund
  • operating a charity
  • renting or leasing property.

There is no single test to determine if you’re carrying on a business. Features of a business include:

  • the activity is a significant commercial activity, involving commercial sales of products or services, and is of a reasonable size and scale
  • there is an intention to make a profit from the activity as demonstrated by a business plan – unlike with a hobby
  • the activity is repeated
  • the activity is systematic, organised and carried on in a business-like way and records are kept
  • the activity is carried on in a similar way to that of other businesses in the same or similar industry
  • the entity has relevant knowledge or skill.

 Commencement activities

If your business or other enterprise isn’t yet underway, you’ll need to have undertaken commencement activities such as:

  • advertising, setting up a social media account or a website for the business
  • purchasing business cards or stationery for the business
  • obtaining business licences or insurance to operate (such as public liability and professional indemnity)
  • leasing or purchasing premises, equipment or stock for the business
  • issuing quotes or bidding for work
  • consulting with financial, business or tax advisors
  • applying for finance
  • buying a business.

While you don’t need to have undertaken all of these commencement activities, you would be expected to have undertaken at least some of them.

Employee or contractor

You’re not entitled to an ABN for work that you carry out as an employee – including as an apprentice, trade assistant or labourer – even if you or your employer calls it contracting. An employer shouldn’t ask you to get an ABN as a condition of employment.

Renting out a residential property

While renting out an investment property may constitute an enterprise, renting out a residential property doesn’t generally give rise to GST or pay as you go withholding obligations, so residential property investors may not need an ABN.

Foreign businesses operating in Australia

If your business or organisation is located outside Australia, you may be entitled to an ABN if you are carrying on an enterprise:

  • in Australia, or
  • that involves making supplies connected with Australia’s indirect tax zone – defined as including Australia but not its external territories or certain offshore areas.

Companies and other entities Also eligible for ABN, include:

Corporations Act company


Incorporated entity

Other entities entitled to an ABN if carrying on an enterprise are:

  • an unincorporated association or entity consisting of a group of individuals with a common interest (for example, a sporting club or social club) without a legally recognised structure
  • a strata corporation (legal entity formed to administer a strata title)
  • a not-for-profit (NFP) organisation.

If you require further information, please call us 1300 370 653 or email to service@registrationsaustralia.com.au

Share this post